Why Be A Tutor?
Tutoring is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs on campus. The satisfaction making a difference in someone's academic life is enormous. Tutoring also is a great way to hone your own knowledge of a subject.
The hours are flexible since the tutor arranges the meeting times and days with the tutee.
Undergraduate tutors earn $12/hour and Graduate students earn $14/hour.
You are eligible if you are a Duke Undergraduate or Graduate student currently enrolled at Duke. You must also meet the following criteria for the course(s) you wish to tutor:
- Duke Undergraduate students must have taken the course at Duke and received a grade of "B+" or better
- Duke Graduate students must have taken the course at Duke or at another institution, and received a grade of "B+" or better
For the subjects and courses we cover, see Available Courses. In addition to our regular tutorial courses, we will need one tutor for each of the following courses: BIO 221, 223; CHEM 331; COMPSCI 270, 290; ECE 110, 270, 382, 588; EGR 190, 244; STA 230
To see what courses we are currently recruiting for, check here.
Steps to Become a Tutor
- Fill out and print the be a tutor application form
- Obtain a recommendation from a faculty member who knows your knowledge and ability to tutor the subject. (Use the recommendation form on last page of the application).
- Attend one of the On-Site Peer Tutor Interview events. Bring your application to the Peer Tutor Interview. (Recommendation forms can be submitted separately from the application).
If hired, you will be required to attend a mandatory peer tutor orientation. Please check the dates here for the the upcoming tutor orientations to make sure you will be available to attend. Tutors are paid for attendance at the orientation.
- If you have submitted your intent to return this Fall or Spring, you do not need to reapply.
- If you have not submitted your intent to return as a tutor, you must submit your completed Matching Sheet by August 7th. Tutors that submit a Matching Sheet after this deadline will be placed on our Tutor Waitlist. If there is a need for additional tutors, within your subject area after recruitment has been completed, we will notify you prior to your being matched with a tutee.