From High School to College

The Academic Resource Center recognizes that many parents act as student advocates during much of a student’s pre-college education. At the post-secondary level, students are expected to advocate for themselves.

This transition is often a difficult one for parents and students. There are a number of things you can do as a parent to ease the transition. Parents can encourage their student to:

  • Seek information about resources available to them
  • Identify and manage important information and deadlines
  • Follow through on recommendations and new information

Transition from High School to College

High School College
Most students with diagnosed learning disabilities have Individual Education Programs (IEPs) which stipulate what accommodations students are eligible to receive. Students with diagnosed learning disabilities are evaluated for disability support services and are granted interventions based on the context of the academic demands of the university.
Parents often advocate for support services for their student. Students are expected to self-advocate for support services.
Support services for learning disabled students are mandatory. Support services for learning disabled students are offered to students who seek interventions. Services through the Academic Resource Center are not mandated under the A.D.A.
Teachers take responsibility for implementing accommodations. Students are responsible for contacting instructors regarding implementing interventions.
IEP accommodations can be granted for students with or without a formal diagnosis of a learning disability or ADHD.

Students must have full clinical documentation and a formal diagnosis to receive academic interventions.

Once an IEP has been implemented, teachers are notified upon enrollment by the school counselor and services are routinely updated until graduation. Once academic interventions are arranged, a student must make a request, at the ARC, for notifying professors, at the beginning of each semester and eligibility is reevaluated on an annual basis.
IEPs are crystallized accommodations that remain rather consistent until graduation. Academic interventions are fluid accommodations designed to support the development of compensatory strategies so that students become more adept at managing academic demands relying less on support intervention.