The Academic Resource Center at Duke University is identifying successful and talented STEM students to serve as facilitators for a unique study group program called SAGE.
SAGE is recognized by academic deans and STEM faculty at Duke as a premier program for highly motivated students with a strong interest in STEM learning at Duke. SAGE is successful in part because of the quality of our facilitators who bring knowledge, insight, empathy, and strong inter-personal skills to their work with their peers.
Successful facilitator applicants will have the opportunity to:
- Lead small group learning in specific STEM courses
- Learn educational theory and pedagogical techniques
- Implement a team-based learning model similar to those used in medical training programs
- Hone their observation and inter-personal skills (very marketable skills)
Former SAGE Facilitators have gone on to medical school, Teach for America, and STEM teaching positions at private high schools.
The Nuts and Bolts
- Meet with 1-2 groups of 4-6 students on a weekly basis for 1 hour
- Participate in a 1 hour weekly facilitator meeting with your facilitator cohort
- Earn $14 per hour for weekly learning community meetings
- Maximum total time commitment 4 hours per week
- Serve as an integral member of the support team for each SAGE student
- Become a leader in this prestigious STEM learning community
SAGE - Math is currently recruiting a facilitator for MATH 353. Contact Suzanne Crifo (email@example.com) if you're interested.