The Testing Center provides a secure, comfortable, and minimally distractive environment for Duke undergraduates registered with the Student Disability Access Office (SDAO) who have been granted testing accommodations.
To use this service students must submit a Semester Request with SDAO, be granted testing accommodations, and be enrolled in a course with a professor who uses the Testing Center to provide testing accommodations.
Students receiving temporary accommodations must call or email the Testing Center to set up an appointment.
For the Fall 2019 semester, exams are administered Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. Hours are extended on Wednesdays until 7:00 pm. Testing that must occur outside of these hours must be arranged and provided by your professor. Start times for exams must be the same as in-class administration of the exam. Exceptions will only be made for accommodation related time adjustments and must be approved by the professor.
- Complete a Semester Request with SDAO and share your letter of accommodation with your professor each semester. Submit your request to SDAO as soon as possible each semester to ensure you are granted testing accommodations in time to receive them on your first exam. Deadlines for submitting requests can be found on the SDAO website.
- Check your syllabus to learn how your professors will provide testing accommodations. If you cannot find this information in your syllabus, talk with your professors in person.
- Review the Testing Center Practices and Procedures so you can know what to expect when you arrive.
- Schedule a testing appointment with the Testing Center in a timely manner. Appointments must be requested at least one week (7 consecutive days) in advance.
- Please note that no correspondence via phone or email will occur outside of business hours.
Prepare For Exam Day
- Review the Practices and Procedures of the Testing Center so you know what to expect when you arrive.
- Visit the Testing Center before your very first exam to avoid getting lost.
- Get plenty of rest the night before and eat a nutritious breakfast on the day of testing.
- Arrive a few minutes early to your appointment and take time to relax before beginning your exam.
- Keep your thoughts positive - you can do this!