Why Be A Tutor?
Tutoring is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs on campus. Some benefits of becoming a tutor are:
- Earn your CRLA Tutor Certification which is nationally recognized by all colleges
- Professional development trainings
- Connect with other students and make a difference in their academic life
- Hone your own knowledge of a subject
- Create your own flexible schedule
- Undergraduate tutors earn $12/hour and Graduate students earn $14/hour
You are eligible if you are a Duke Undergraduate or Graduate student currently enrolled at Duke. You must also meet the following criteria for the course(s) you wish to tutor:
- Duke Undergraduate students must have taken the course at Duke and received a grade of "B+" or better
- Duke Graduate students must have taken the course at Duke or at another institution, and received a grade of "B+" or better
For the subjects and courses we cover, see Available Courses.
To see what courses we are currently recruiting for, check here.
Steps to Become a Tutor
- Fill out and print a tutor application
- Bring your completed application to your scheduled Interview.
- Have a faculty member provide a recommendation for you. Recommendations can arrive AFTER your interview.
If hired, you will be required to attend a mandatory peer tutor orientation and two professional development trainings. Please check the dates here for the the upcoming tutor orientation and trainings.
- Ensure that you are still on Duke payroll
- Email email@example.com your interest to return and tutorial course