General Tutoring Info
- No more than one (1) one-hour session per week is permitted (during Summer Session, up to two hours is permitted each week).
- You are eligible for tutoring in one course per semester, the only exception being for foreign language courses.
- Tutoring sessions cannot be transferred to another student.
- Tutoring sessions begin after the drop/add period.
- All peer tutoring will stop on the last day of classes.
- At the end of the semester, you must fill out a peer tutoring evaluation form and return it.
- You should review and follow the Tutee's Understanding of Responsibilities.
Placement Within A Group Tutorial
- Placement within a Group Tutorial are accommodated on a first-come, first served basis.
- Once you have placed yourself within a Group Tutorial, the tutor will contact you to share the meeting information. You may also use the Duke Directory to contact your tutor.
- You must regularly attend class for the course in which you are receiving tutoring.
- If you withdraw from the course you are being tutored in, or want to drop tutoring for any reason, you must immediately contact your tutor and the Peer Tutoring Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Once placed within a group, it is expected that you will maintain regular attendance. Missing two or more sessions may jeopardize your placement within your Group Tutorial.
- It is important to provide your tutor with a list of questions or concerns, at least, two days before your scheduled session.
- It is important to arrive prepared for your tutoring sessions (read class material, attempt to do homework assignment, and prepare questions).
- It is important to bring course materials (text, lecture notes, etc) with you to your tutoring sessions.
- You must notify your tutor, 24 hours in advance of the scheduled session, when you are unable to attend the Group Tutorial.
- Failure to communicate with your tutor will be considered a no-show, means forfeiting the tutoring session for that week, and could jeopardize your placement within the group.
- If you do not show for a meeting with your tutor, you must contact them ASAP. If you do not contact them, your tutor will cancel all future appointments until further communication.
- After two no-show appointments, you automatically forfeit your placement within the Group Tutorial.
- If you miss two sessions of tutoring for reasons other than illness, family emergency, or University-sponsored event, you will forfeit your placement within your group.
- If you are late to your session, any time that you miss due to lateness is forfeited.
The tutor is not required to wait longer than 20 minutes past the appointed time. If you miss the tutor because you are more than 20 minutes late, it is considered a no-show. After two no-show appointments, you automatically forfeit your placement within the Group Tutorial.